2013 Grant Awards
Specific areas that we funded:
- Arts & Culture: The Foundation wishes to support capacity building projects to improve the infrastructure of arts organization. Examples: building and implementing evaluation and assessment systems, develop individual and organizational skills across operational areas such as internal governance and leadership, strategic planning, professional development, financial and resource management or development, membership development, marketing efforts through creation of branding strategies, information technology training and software, and social media training.
- Education: Fund internships for college undergraduate or graduate students at nonprofits.
- Environment: For Oregon projects: Support work to improve marine systems and reserves through protection, planning, and community engagement. For California projects: Support work to improve the San Francisco Bay estuary ecosystem through science based research, protection, and/or restoration.
- Health & Human Services: The Foundation is focused on improving access to affordable, healthful foods for low-income populations. We are looking to fund comprehensive programs that address 3 critical components: access, education and affordability.
Grants awarded totaled $107,000 (not including John Lam Fund grant):
- Artists Repertory Theatre, Portland, OR. Support search and relocation for an offsite scenic shop, $5,000.
- Friends of Outdoor School, Portland, OR. Support for an intern who will analyze existing data to research the impacts of outdoor school, $5,000.
- Friends of Zenger Farm, Portland, OR. Support for Heating Eating on a Budget Project, $5,000.
- Girls Inc. of Alameda Cty., Oakland, CA. Support Evaluation Internship Program, $5,000.
- Huerto de la Familia, Eugene, OR. Support for Organic Garden Program, $5,000.
- Janus Youth, Portland, OR. Support for Village Gardens Program, $5,000.
- Marine Applied Research and Exploration, Richmond, CA. Funding to complete the North Coast assessment and collect South Coast baseline data, $5,000.
- Metropolitan Youth Symphony, Portland, OR. Support website redesign and organizational branding project, $5,000.
- Oregon Environmental Council, Portland, OR. Support interns for the Agricultural Groundwater Pollution Project and Improving the State's Groundwater Protection Framework Project, $5,000.
- Oregon Writers Colony, Portland, OR. Support for strategic planning process and transition from volunteer to paid staff. $5,000.
- Sacred Heart Community Services, San Jose, CA. Salary Support for FTE for La Mesa Verde Program, $5,000.
- Save the Bay, San Francisco, CA. Funding to support work to improve the SF bay and reestablish 100,000 acres of wetlands, $5,000.
- Stand for Children Leadership Center, Portland, OR. Support a Research and Policy intern, $5,000.
- Surfrider Foundation, San Clemente, CA. Funding to support the implementation of Oregon's marine reserves and protected areas, $5,000.
- The Nature Conservancy in Oregon, Portland, OR. Support of data collection and monitoring efforts of seabirds in the Fall and Winter months, $7,000.
- The Wetlands Conservancy, Portland, OR. Funding to support activities related to the development of an ecological framework for the Lower Alsea estuary, $5,000.
- Willamette Farm & Food Coalition, Eugene, OR. Support for Farm to School Family Outreach Program, $5,000.
- Wisdom of the Elders, Portland, OR. Support for an intern who will assist with planning, publicizing and community outreach for a series of cultural events for Wisdom Gardens and the Northwest Indian Storytellers Association, $5,000.
- Women's Audio Mission, San Francisco, CA. General operating support for website and Salesforce integration project, $5,000.
- Young Audiences of Northern California, San Francisco, CA. General operating support for Salesforce customization, $5,000.
Discretionary Grants Awarded
- No discretionary grants were awarded.
J.W. & H.M. Goodman Foundation/PO Box 5756/Portland, OR/97228-5756
© Copyright 2001-2014