Over the years, grants have been made to nonprofits in the following general areas:
- Health & Human Services to improve the quality of life by helping organizations that aid the poor and disadvantaged;
- Education, with a particular emphasis on equal access, literacy, science, math and technology;
- Environment to improve long-term quality of life and a healthy ecosystem through activities such as education and conservation;
- Arts & Culture, as a way of preserving culture, intellectual stimulation, and improving the quality/enjoyment of life;
2012 Grant Awards
- Specific Focus Areas That We Funded:
- Arts & Culture: Support opportunities for classical music performances or competitions by high school or college students who have the potential to become professional musicians.
- Education: Fund internships for college undergraduate or graduate students at nonprofits.
- Environment: Support coastal & marine spatial planning projects to ensure that we are protecting our marine environment in California and Oregon while balancing economic opportunities within local communities. And, support work to improve the San Francisco Bay estuary ecosystem through science-based research, restoration, and protection work in California.
- Health & Human Services: Funding to improve access to affordable, healthful foods through community and school gardens, farm to school programs, nutrition and cooking classes for low-income populations and healthy corner store initiatives.
- Adelante Mujeres, Forest Grove, OR. General operating support for the Nourish the Community Program. $5,000.
- Britt Festival, Medford, OR. Support for the String Quartet Academy. $6,000.
- Camp Fire Columbia, Portland, OR. General operating support for Portland State University Masters in Social Work student intern. $5,000.
- City Slicker Farms, Oakland, CA. Support for Backyard Garden Program. $5,000.
- Crag Law Center, Portland, OR. General operating support of the Coastal Law Project work on territorial sea plan and marine spatial planning in Oregon. $5,000.
- Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum, McMinnville, OR. Funding for an Evaluation Research intern. $3,200.
- New Highland Academy of the Oakland Unified School District, Oakland, CA. General operating support of weekly produce markets. $4,000.
- Marine Applied Research & Exploration, Richmond, CA. Support MPA data collection efforts. $5,000.
- My Three Squares (dba Three Squares), San Francisco, CA. Funding to train Promotores for Cooking Matters classes. $5,000.
- Oakland Youth Orchestra, Oakland, CA. General operating support for 2012-2013 concert season. $5,000.
- Opal Creek Ancient Forest Center, Jawbone Flats, OR. Support for two college Environmental Science interns to operate week-long backpacking programs. $5,440.
- Oregon Environmental Council, Portland, OR. Funding for a research intern to study and analyze socioeconomic factors and environmental justice implications associated with state-level carbon taxes. $5,000.
- Oregon Shores Conservation Coalition, Seal Rock, OR. General operating support for Ocean Program Director to participate in Oregon efforts. $5,000.
- Port Orford Ocean Resource Team, Port Orford, OR. General operating support for marine spatial planning, education, outreach, and mapping at Port Orford. $5,000.
- Portland Fruit Tree Project, Portland, OR. Support of Fruit Tree Stewardship Program. $5,000.
- Resources Legacy Fund, Sacramento, CA. General operating support for Continuing Oregon Ocean Progress. $2,000.
- Salem Chamber Orchestra, Salem, OR. Support performance opportunities and Concerto Competition. $5,000.
- San Jose Jazz, San Jose, CA. Funding for High School All Stars Jazz Program. $4,000.
- Saturday Academy, Portland, OR. Funding for two college interns to develop STEM class curriculums and co-teach classes. $5,000.
- SMART, Portland, OR. Support for a nine-month Graphic Design internship. $3,500.
- The Watershed Project, Richmond, CA. General operating support for the Wild! Oyster Program. $5,000.
- Urban Gleaners, Portland, OR. General operating support for Food to Schools Program. $5,000.
- Willamette Farm & Food Coalition, Eugene, OR. General operating support of Farm to School Program. $5,000.
Grants Awarded (Total for year: $108,140):
Previous Grant Awards
J.W. & H.M. Goodman Foundation/PO Box 5756/Portland, OR/97228-5756
© Copyright 2001-2012