2017 Grants Awarded
- Arts & Culture: The Foundation intends to award $10,000 grants to performing arts organizations for capacity building projects that improve the infrastructure of organizations with an emphasis on reaching more people. Capital campaigns and building expansion projects will also be considered. Examples include: a) software and/or hardware technology to improve the infrastructure of the operations and to reach more people; b) building renovations and new building purchases for expansion projects.
- Education: The Foundation wishes to encourage internships at nonprofits for college undergraduate and/or graduate students (grants distributed in 2017 may be utilized for 2018 internships as needed). We encourage nonprofits to provide an above minimum wage stipend to interns. Average size grants in this area of focus are $5,000 each. Please note that grant recipients who received grant awards from us in this focus area each year for the last 3 consecutive years (2014, 2015, 2016) are not eligible for a grant in 2017. You will be eligible to reapply in 2018.
- Environment: (All requests should include an eco-systems management approach) The Foundation intends to award 2-3 grants in the range of $10,000 each that support science-based work to improve the Oregon and San Francisco Bay marine systems through protection, planning, and/or restoration. Examples include: a) studying and mitigating climate change and how it affects marine life, shoreline erosion, coastal flooding, and/or water pollution; b) protecting and restoring tidal wetlands; and/or c) estuary restoration.
- Health & Human Services: The Foundation supports programs or services that improve our elderly population's ability to live in their own home and community safely, independently, and comfortably. Example programs or services might include: meals or grocery shopping assistance, rides to appointments, home modifications, assistive technologies, etc. Please note that grant recipients who received grant awards from us in this focus area each year for the last 3 consecutive years (2014, 2015, 2016) are not eligible for a grant in 2017. You will be eligible to reapply in 2018.
- Bag & Baggage Productions, Hillsboro, OR. Support for EVOLUTION Capital Campaign to renovate a newly acquired building, $10,000.
- Center for Elder's Independence, Oakland, CA. Support for Healthy Meals for Seniors Program, $10,000.
- Golden Gate Performing Arts Center dba San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus, San Francisco, CA. Support for a Development Intern, $5,040.
- Greater Farallones Association, San Francisco, CA. Support for Beach Watch Program, $10,000.
- Hillsboro Public Library/City of Hillsboro, Hillsboro, OR. Support for a Library Sciences Intern, $5,300.
- Literacy for Environmental Justice, San Francisco, CA. Support for Yosemite Slough Community Stewardship Program, $6,000.
- Marine Applied Research & Exploration, Richmond, CA. Support for tool development to ensure effective protection of deep-sea corals within the framework of NOAA's implementation of ecosystem-based management, $6,000.
- Northwest Pilot Project, Portland, OR. Salary support for a Housing Specialist, $10,000
- Oregon MESA/Portland State University, Portland, OR. Support for a Data Analyst Intern, $5,000.
- Oregon Symphony Association, Portland, OR. To modernize their digital presence. $5,000.
- Point Reyes Bird Observatory dba Point Blue Conservation Science, Petaluma, CA. Support for an Informatics Intern, $5,000.
- Portland Chamber Orchestra, Portland, OR. Support to build internal capacity to expand and diversify their audience base. $10,000.
- Project Open Hand, San Francisco, CA. Support for senior nutrition through Congregate Nutrition Program, $10,000.
- Save The Bay, San Francisco, CA. Support for community-based restoration program, $10,000.
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Center/Smithsonian Institution, Tiburon, CA. Support for an internship at the Romberg Tiburon Center. $6,000.
- The Health Trust, San Jose, CA. Support for Meals on Wheels Program, $5,000.
- Women's Audio Mission, San Francisco, CA. Support for capital campaign. $6,000.
J.W. & H.M. Goodman Foundation/PO Box 5756/Portland, OR/97228-5756
© Copyright 2001-2019